Turkey seeks new alternatives about air force, turkish expert says
02 November 2021
n interview to Baku Tribune was given by Deniz Tansi, chair of Public Administration Department Yeditepe University Economic and Administrative Sciences Faculty.
- Initially, Ankara wanted to purchase 100 of the latest F-35 fighters. But the United States canceled the deal on their supplies due to the fact that Turkey, as a NATO member, acquired the C-400 air defense systems from Russia. Turkey has begun purchasing F-16 fighters from the United States. This was announced by the Minister of National Defense of Turkey Hulusi Akar. He noted that technical work has begun on the acquisition of the F-16. To what extent does this deal reflect the interests of Turkey? After all, Ankara wanted to buy F-35 fighters and even paid money for it. So why did Ankara agree to this deal with the United States? The Americans are ready to sell, have they approved?
- Turkey is US ally from March 1947 and Nato member since 1952. Especially after the Cold War, many contradictions emerged for bilateral relations. First of all, US is trying to found ethnic components or entities in the Middle East. On the other hand, US supports PKK/PYD/YPG terrorism in Syria and in the other countries. McGurk who is envoy of US president in the Middle East was tangibly political advisor of PYD terror organisation. Current secretary of defense (Austin) armed PYD during his duty in US CENTCOM. Turkey is not a customer of F-35, contrarily is a partner of the project. Why the US disqualified Turkey from F-35, there is no official answer. Turkey demanded Patriots from US for air defense, US rejected, why Turkey bought S-400 missiles from Russia. And as you know the US declared CAATSA leverages to Turkey. In CAATSA leverages, the countries which are described as hostile. But still there is an alliance, but it is questionable. For f-16 modernization, I do not trust US Congress' approach. Because anti Turkish lobbies are active in the Congress. Turkey seeks new alternatives about air force. It is natural.
- The United States continues to consult with Turkey to resolve a dispute over Ankara's participation in the F-35 fighter program. This was announced on Monday at a regular briefing by the head of the State Department's press service, Ned Price. “We are continuing, the Defense Ministry is continuing to consult with Turkey to resolve the F-35 dispute,” he said. At the same time, Price refused to disclose any details of these negotiations. Has Turkey finally come to terms with the loss of the F-35? Are the Turks no longer trying to convince the Americans?
- Turkey has alternatives for air force. In the long term, Turkey is planning a national air force system. We can observe the situation about drones armed drones. But in the short term, Russian or British war planes can be selected. US political process can not be endured. We have threats from the region and terrorist organisations which are sponsored by the allies?
- The European Commission criticized Turkey for rolling back from democracy. Turkey is further away from democracy: The situation in a country with the rule of law, independent justice and respect for fundamental rights continues to deteriorate, according to a new report from the European Commission (EC), published on Tuesday, October 19. What negative consequences can be expected in relation to Turkey? For example, the use of EU sanctions against Turkey. Most likely, Europe will take some steps from which Turkey's economic interests may suffer.
- Turkish-EU relations seem not bright. From 2006, many of the chapters for negotiations suspended by EU, why they have manipulated the added protocol for Southern Cyprus. (2005) Turkey is criticized in the context of democracy or human rights in each progress reports. In the early years, these reports was evaluating for the adaptation process to the full membership. Turkish public opinion understood that, EU will not accept Turkey as a full member. Last reports are related with political-international interests and can not be trusted. For instance, EU does not recognize Turkish existence in the Eastern Mediterranean. It is a red line for Turkey. Turkey can not share Blue Homeland. It is cause of existence.
- Turkey may purchase Russian Su-35 and Su-57 fighters if the United States freezes the sale of F-16s after the F-35, said Ismail Demir, head of the Turkish defense industry. How do you assess this prospect? If the Americans refuse to sell the F-16 to Turkey, what will Ankara do? Turkey will buy Russian fighters?
- Turkey has different alternatives. Russian fighters or British fighters can be bought. US policy does not reflect realism. But I wonder the new axis from Greece to Israel and to Egypt , Saudi Arabia Gulf States. It is containment policy to Russia, China or what about Turkey?
- Ankara stands for the continuation of the dialogue between Russia and NATO. This was announced on Thursday to journalists in Ankara by the official representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Tanju Bilgich. We advocate that the channels for dialogue between Russia and NATO remain open, "he said in response to a request to comment on Moscow's decision to suspend the work of its permanent mission to NATO since the beginning of November after the decision of the North Atlantic Alliance to revoke the accreditation of eight employees of the Russian permanent mission. Why is NATO behaving this way? What does NATO want to show?
- US President challenged Russia before US elections to Russia. And he called Russia as a greatest threat to US. It is not logical for international relations. But Russia and China, if both of the counties are considered, the can be balance of power. Russian interference to Ukraine and Georgia are significant. They were underlined probable candidates to NATO in Bucharest Summit of NATO. Also Russia reached to Eastern Mediterranean in Syrian chaos (2015) and activated Tartus naval base, beside the situation has proxy forces in Libya. US has a new axis (Greece, Southern Cyprus, Israel, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Gulf States). Also there is a political clash between US and China in Pacific, Russia supports China. Biden is a Cold War statesman, but I do not expect new Cold War. Why Turkey has new opportunities with the compartment policy, to found relations with different great powers and regional countries in the same time.